integer types, sys calls, and stdio

Brandon Allbery bsa at ncoast.UUCP
Tue Feb 12 02:09:45 AEST 1985

+----------------
| [BTW, a VAX Pastel compiler is available through the ARPA/MILNET by
| the anonymous account "ftp", file "pastel.bintape".  This file is
| in "tar" format.  If you don't have ARPANET access, you can contact

| for information on obtaining a tape copy.  There is no charge.]

Speaking of portability... I would be crazy to expect a VAX compiler
to run on my machine, that's not the flame.  What *is*, is that so many
programs are offered for free or fairly cheap, *on tape*.  But not all
Unix boxes, especially 68000-based ones, have tape drives.  And I don't
look to Radio Shack offering a standard tape drive in the future.

How do *we* get the PD stuff like MH, which was touted as runnable under
Xenix?  (This is only my third flame so far; if I keep it up, maybe someone'll
answer.)  $40 is NO problem; tape distribution *is*.

Brandon (bsa at ncoast.UUCP)
--
Brandon Allbery, decvax!cwruecmp!ncoast!bsa, "ncoast!bsa"@case.csnet (etc.)
6504 Chestnut Road, Independence, Ohio 44131 +1 216 524 1416 (or what have you)