parens around sizeof arg

Henry Spencer henry at utzoo.UUCP
Thu Feb 28 04:35:32 AEST 1985

> Style for you guys, necessity for others.  The only time I use sizeof is
> in such expressions as, "sizeof(struct foo)"; and our compiler doesn't
> realize that "struct" gets a following name, so "sizeof struct foo" gets
> me a syntax error.

The compiler is correct; the syntax error is real.  Look carefully at the
definition of sizeof:  its usage is "sizeof object" or "sizeof(type)".
The parentheses are *not* optional in the second case.  This is part of
the reason why many people put the parentheses in for all sizeofs.
--
				Henry Spencer @ U of Toronto Zoology