ASM vs HLL

cottrell at nbs-vms.ARPA cottrell at nbs-vms.ARPA
Tue Feb 12 10:33:52 AEST 1985

/*
> At the University of Oklahoma, our PDP-11 software came from the Purdue/ECN:
> this gave the person setting up this machine a fine base to start with. The
> thing that constantly bit us was a person there who wrote all his programs
> (system-wide programs, like the editor!) to use HIS VERSION of the Standard
> I/O library. This guy #include'd it from his HOME directory! (No, John, it
> wasn't you.)
>
> Try maintaining that.
>
> 	Jeff Bowles
> 	Lisle, IL

Sadly enuf, stdio has been thru a lot of changes. There was the early
versions, the portable i/o lib (-lp), ported copies back to v6, berkeley,
etc. Perhaps he captured a specific version he was used to, perhaps he
added his own features. Perhaps he should have altered the names or
changed them all to capitals. I myself have often wanted different features.

	"You can't tell the players without a scorecard!"
*/