Language Idioms

D Gary Grady dgary at ecsvax.UUCP
Fri Feb 15 01:50:50 AEST 1985

<>
> >      ...... I want to talk about programming idioms.
> > These are code sequences which produce some useful non-obvious result.
>
> I react when I see the word ``idiom'' used this way.  To me, an idiom is a
> set of works which, when combined, have a meaning that cannot be deduced
> from the meanings of all of the constituent parts.

A common example of a programming "idiom" is the sequence

temp = var1;  var1 = var2;  var2 = temp;

for interchanging var1 and var2.  But the writer above is correct; this
isn't an "idiom" or even analogous to an idiom in the normal sense of
that word.  A better term might be "cliche."

I therefore propose that we discuss programming cliches...  :-)
--
D Gary Grady
Duke U Comp Center, Durham, NC  27706