Style Flambe

cottrell at nbs-vms.ARPA cottrell at nbs-vms.ARPA
Fri Feb 1 08:43:44 AEST 1985

/*
Mark Terribile replies to my plea for form feeds:

> 	And please DON'T put the maddog form feeds in.  White space
> ought to communicate something just as much as code.  With the proper
> use of white space and the proper and consistant placement of blocks
> of code and the conditions that govern them, program structure is
> communicated ... but FORMFEEDS introduce spacing of random lengths
> in synchronization NOT with the structure of the program but rather
> in synchronization with an ARBITRARY and IRRELEVANT event -- the
> passing of a fold in the paper on which the listing (if any) may be printed.

Some people rarely make listings but I do. I regard a paper fold as VERY
significant if I have to keep flipping the maddog page to see the other
half of a IF or WHILE. Opinion being what it is, this doesn't bother
everyone, including my own brother. However, the minute I get my hands
on a program, that's what I do. Funxions should be small enuf to fit
on a page, just as lines should be small enuf to fit on a tty. I often
put many funxions on a page if they fit in order to save paper.
*/