PASCAL

Larry DeLuca larry at cci-bdc.UUCP
Fri Feb 1 07:41:15 AEST 1985

> My goodness.  Tell me some good things about Unix.  First there was single
> user Unix.  Then multi-user.  Then System III.  Then Version 6.  Then Level 7.
> Then Berkeley.  Then System V.  Then Berkeley 4.x.  Now those silly people
> at Bell Labs are talking about System 8!
>
> That must mean that Unix is a bad operating system, don't you think?
>

> --
>       Dan Frank
>
> 	"good news is just life's way of keeping you off balance."

Not exactly...Unix was conceived virtually from the start as a multi-user
operating system...

the first implementations were written in Assembly language on the PDP-7...

a rewrite in C followed and the stuff moved up to a PDP-11...

The most recent tree is like this:

			Version 6

			PWB Unix (Programmer's Workbench)

			Version 7

		(Here comes the split between ATT and Berzerkely)

		+------------------------------+
	      (Bell)                        (Berkeley)

		|  				|

		System III		    UNIX 32/V

		|				|

					    2 and 3 BSD (2 for PDP-11,
						3 for VAX)

		Still System III	       |

		|			  4.0BSD, followed by 4.1BSD
					 and 4.2BSD...sometime after
					the release of 4.0BSD 2.8BSD
					was released, similarly for
					4.1BSD and 2.9BSD, and support
					for PDP-11's was dropped by
					Berzerkeley before the release
					of 4.2BSD for the VAX (which
					is now available for many
					machines).

		System V, R1 for the VAX

		System V, R2 for the VAX and ATT Computers

(i may have some release dates confused, but i believe this to be
basically correct...)...

					larry...

--
uucp:  ..mit-eddie!cybvax0!cci-bdc!larry

arpa:  henrik at mit-mc.ARPA

This mind intentionally left blank.