Wirth...

Mark Wittenberg mark at rtech.ARPA
Mon Feb 18 08:21:05 AEST 1985

On the topic of PASCAL and MODULA-2:

	Pascal doesn't allow declaring a "pointer to pointer to ..." directly
	(you need an intermediate type), but given such a thing allows you to
	say "object pointed to by object pointed to by ...".  I thought that
	Wirth had fixed this when I saw that M-2 does allow declaring a
	"pointer to pointer to ..." directly.  My enthusiasm was tempered when
	I noticed that it does NOT allow "ptr^^"; you must use a run-time
	temp variable.  Anybody know why the change?

Mark Wittenberg
Relational Technology, Inc
ucbvax!mtxinu!rtech!mark