sizeof

Robert Viduya robert at gitpyr.UUCP
Sun Feb 10 12:17:02 AEST 1985

><
Posted from  Doug Gwyn (VLD/VMB) <gwyn at BRL-VLD.ARPA>
> Does anybody other than Cottrell have difficulty coping
> with various sizes of pointers?

I don't have difficulty with it, but I do feel that all pointers should
be the same size.  A pointer is a pointer, regardless of what it points to.
It's a datatype all by itself; it isn't a mutation of the datatype it points
to.

Perhaps an addition to the language is in order (gotta have something to
handle those Intel chips).  Well, since C allows you to have 'long int',
'int' and 'short int', what about long pointers, pointers and short pointers?
Don't ask me how they would be declared; I'll leave that up to someone
else.
			robert
--
Robert Viduya
Georgia Institute of Technology

...!{akgua,allegra,amd,hplabs,ihnp4,masscomp,ut-ngp}!gatech!gitpyr!robert
...!{rlgvax,sb1,uf-cgrl,unmvax,ut-sally}!gatech!gitpyr!robert