C cross compiler

johnl at ima.UUCP johnl at ima.UUCP
Mon Feb 11 14:39:54 AEST 1985

> IS there a good C cross compiler which will
> produce 360-20 source assembly nmemonics?

Oh, like, wow.  Are there still 360/20s around?  Now let's see, hmmn, the
360/20 can multiply in decimal but not in binary, so if you write this:

   struct foo {
	int a,b,c,d,e;
   } foo[100];

   parp(foo[i]);

it has to pick up the value of i, convert it to decimal, multiply it by 10
(which takes about a millisecond), convert it back to binary, add in the
address of foo and you're ready to dereference.  No, that's silly, we could do
the multiplication by 10 by a decimal shift.  No, even better, we can do it
with an addition chain, so we load it into a register and add it to itself,
then we move it to another register -- wait, can't do that because there's no
load register instruction unless you've hacked the microcode that's loaded from
the box of cards inside the back of the machine -- so you store that ...

Well, anyway, I expect the answer is no C compiler for the 360/20.  Sorry,
you're still stuck with RPG, or maybe subset PL/I.

John Levine, ima!johnl or Levine at YALE.ARPA