C Input Question?

Scott Hossler sah9577 at ritcv.UUCP
Mon Feb 25 15:07:11 AEST 1985

I am working an a very simple game using graphics text with a
GiGi terminal.  I am having a big problem with the input.  When
I get to a read, or any input statment, in C, everything stops
and waits for the input.

I want to be able to have the program check for keyboard input, and
if it is there to act upon it, otherwise to continue processing.
Is there an easy way to do this in C.  I am doing this on a VAX
runnung 4.2 if that makes a difference.

I have played around with the low leval input described in a V7
manual, but couldn't get any where.  My next thought is to fork
off a process for the background and one for the user's charactor
and then use a semaphore to allow access to the graphics cursor.
Is this nessassary, and if it is, any hints on what to watch out
for?

Thanks to all.

scott hossler
rochester!ritcv!sah9577