SIZEOF

Henry Spencer henry at utzoo.UUCP
Tue Feb 5 10:58:47 AEST 1985

> I have a feeling that [this] integer size [32 bits on 68000] was picked
> more for porting convenience than anything else...

Very probably.  While rules like "don't assume pointers and integers
are the same size" and "don't assume *(char *)0 == '\0'" are good
advice for writing new code, an unfortunate amount of old code breaks
them.  You get a choice of having to fix it all, or arranging for the
dubious assumptions to remain true.  For obvious reasons, many people
with a product to get out the door have taken the latter approach.
--
				Henry Spencer @ U of Toronto Zoology