SIZEOF

Mark Weiser mark at tove.UUCP
Tue Feb 5 13:37:43 AEST 1985

In article <1071 at amdahl.UUCP> gam at amdahl.UUCP (gam) writes:
>> > Anyone who has made much effort at porting C code has encountered lots of
>> > problems, all too many of which are due to people misusing the language.
>> > Many of those can be avoided by using "lint".  Go forth and do so.
>> >
>>    With regard to lint:
>>
>>    1) Most people working in a Unix environment never use it, because they
>>       don't have to.
>>    Human nature being what it is, "go forth and use lint" should get approx-
>> imately the same enthusiastic response as "go forth and sin no more."
>
>Lint is widely used here....porting programs from other systems would be
>a painful task without lint.

We have Pyramid's and Vaxes as our main machines.  If your code passes
lint, it is likely to run both, in spite of the fact that the
stack is used differently, the byte orders are reversed, and they
require different word alignments when acessing structures.  Lint
is handy
--
Spoken: Mark Weiser 	ARPA:	mark at maryland	Phone: +1-301-454-7817
CSNet:	mark at umcp-cs 	UUCP:	{seismo,allegra}!umcp-cs!mark