PASCAL

Guy Harris guy at rlgvax.UUCP
Sat Feb 2 08:43:58 AEST 1985

> While Larry's described how Berkeley got into it, PWB was not a precursor
> to version 7.

Some features from "late Version 6" made it into PWB (such minor improvements
as the Standard I/O library, a modern C compiler that understands "long"
and "unsigned", ...), and into Version 7, but weren't in vanilla Version 6;
this may be where the idea that PWB was a precursor to V7 came about.
("late V6" here refers to V6 plus "troff/early version 7 compiler" plus
Ken Thompson's "50 changes").

> Feel free to flame at me if I make a mistake, but I think it was
> something like this:

Pretty much accurate (although since the BSD stuff isn't in there the
4.1BSD influence on V8 isn't shown).

	Guy Harris
	{seismo,ihnp4,allegra}!rlgvax!guy