Language transitions

Stanley Friesen friesen at psivax.UUCP
Tue Feb 5 04:03:44 AEST 1985

In article <268 at gumby.UUCP> g-frank at gumby.UUCP writes:

>Can I ask a BIG favor?  Can at least ONE of the other people in this
>newsgroup PLEASE read a book on Modula-2, so that we can stop this
>"I think C is better than being slapped in the face with a dead
>jellyfish" discussion?  Or is my contention true, that C hackers have
>calcified brains and no longer read books?

	I just read Wirth's book on Modula-2 this weekend.  It seems
to me to be a superset of Pascal, with some *nice* extensions. But
it is missing a couple of important things.. With all his talk about
the importance of data hiding and locality, he did not include local
statics. To get a static variable it must be global! This is significant
lack, I use local statics regularly for internal state variables, which
is what they are for.  I also do not seem to remember any facility
for type casting or its equivalent, very useful for general purpose
routines and record type.
--

				Sarima (Stanley Friesen)

{trwrb|allegra|cbosgd|hplabs|ihnp4|aero!uscvax!akgua}!sdcrdcf!psivax!friesen
 or
quad1!psivax!friesen