C Programming Style -- New thought (\"writing code\")

Frank Adams franka at mmintl.UUCP
Tue Jul 30 06:11:12 AEST 1985

I no longer write code on paper first; this changed at the time I first
got access to a full screen editor.

The main advantage of writing it down first is that is gives one a second
chance to look over the code and notice mistakes.  This reason is less
significant for me than it used to be because (1) I make fewer mistakes
than I used to, and (2) I gain the same benefit (plus others) by writing
a design specification.

Usually, I use a printed listing, except for very short code (fits on a
screen) (previously, I had a 43 line screen; now I'm back down to 25.
Everything else is better now, but I miss the big screen.  Sigh.)  Using
a listing doesn't keep me from using grep; I do both.