C programming hint

Dept 3271 gangal at petsd.UUCP
Fri Jul 12 00:37:15 AEST 1985

In article <899 at teddy.UUCP> kps at teddy.UUCP (Kesavan P. Srinivasan) writes:
>I found a way to initialize an array of characters without using a loop.
>Here is the method I used:
>
>       blanks[0] = ' ';        /* initialize 1st element */
>       strncpy(blanks + 1, blanks, SIZE - 1);  /* initialize entire array */

1)      This probably uses a loop (in strncpy)

2)      I don't know exactly what the standard C library does, but many
	string copy routines (in micro-code or higher level) check
	for overlapping strings and would process your request in reverse
	to avoid just the recursion you want.  (For instance, you may
	have a string in there to which you want to prepend a character.)

					bob