more questions about efficient C code

DHowell.ES at Xerox.ARPA DHowell.ES at Xerox.ARPA
Wed Jul 10 03:37:34 AEST 1985

>	Somebody mentioned economy of expression being a good thing;
>agreed.  In this particular case the idiom is so well ingrained that I
>don't think twice about it.  In fact, doing it any other way would
>require more thought.

Don't think too much, it could be dangerous :-)

But really, if you must keep up the high priesthood of programming, then
go ahead
and use your idioms.  I personally think that programming is a tool for
all and not a science for a few.  Idioms which are believed to be more
efficient (sometimes mistakenly) should be given up in favor of
constructs which are common to most programming languages.  I know that
things can't be done the same in all programming languages, but what can
be, should.  It is simply a matter of making it understandable to all
who are involved with a project, programmers and non-programmers alike.

Dan