more about programming style

Jon Mauney mauney at ncsu.UUCP
Sat Jul 13 03:52:02 AEST 1985

> Some things, like medicine and C programming, are best left to professionals.

Here is another example from medicine: doctors that scribble prescriptions
using arcane abbreviations.  Of course, since the prescription will be filled
by a professional pharmacist or nurse, there is no problem;  they all know
what the Latin phrases mean and are experienced in interpreting ink blots.

Nevertheless, Joe Graedon -- author of "The People's Pharmacy" and host
of a local radio call-in program -- has collected many examples of
misunderstood prescriptions.  Despite explicit advice in the most widely
respected drug textbook, many doctors insist on using "time-saving"
"standard" medical idioms instead of writing out the prescription in
plain English; they ignore the difficulties they cause to fellow health
professionals (not to mention the patients).  Similarly, many programmers
insist on using well-known language idioms instead of arranging their code
to maximize readability.

A true professional increases efficiency by making things as easy as possible.
--

Jon Mauney,    mcnc!ncsu!mauney
North Carolina State University

"The door's not shut on my genius, but...  I just don't have the time."