more questions about efficient C code

VLD/VMB gwyn at BRL.ARPA
Sun Jul 14 14:56:29 AEST 1985

I have to disagree with your view that "programming is a tool for all
and not a science for a few".  Most of the problems I have encountered
with software have been the direct result of it being produced by
amateurs who were apparently both unaware of the science and
unfamiliar with the proper usage of the tools.

C is meant for experienced, professional programmers; and even those
are expected to learn about the language before dealing with it.  It
makes no sense to argue that all code should be readable by those
unfamiliar with the language; would you prohibit the use of classes
in C++, data structures and pointers in C, etc. simply because people
whose experience is limited to a BASIC primer don't understand them?