more about programming style

Robert A. Weiler bob at pedsgd.UUCP
Fri Jul 26 02:16:30 AEST 1985

Ill try to keep this short. This has gone on long enough. People use ++ and
other funny assignments because they are part of C and occur all over
the place in existing C code and C programming books. It should take
the average individual 5-15 minutes to figure out what these do, and then
he/she/it should remember it for life. This is a non-issue. A real problem
in C is type declaration syntax, as should be obvious from the number of
requests Chris Torek apparently got for cdecl source ( thanks Chris ).
I find a partial solution to the def problem is to use the following
style of declarations religously.

#define MYSTRUCT_T	struct mystruct
struct mystruct {
	int		whatever;
	MYSTRUCT_T	*next;
};
typedef MYSTRUCT_T	mystruct_t, *mystruct_p;
#define	MYSTRUCTSZ	(sizeof(mystruct_t))
#define	NULLMYSTRUCT	((mystruct_p)0)

I would appreciate comments, suggestions, etc. on additional ways to
make type declarations more readable. But enough already about ++.

Bob Weiler.