Dumb question on dyn. mem. alloc (if(hate(novices)) dont_read();)

K.DELBENE delbene at homxa.UUCP
Thu Jul 18 22:19:31 AEST 1985

I've got a dumb question on the dynamic allocation of memory to
structures in 'C' using the malloc() family.  It seems that no
matter how I declare the function calloc() or how I typecast in
the returned pointer, I get a warning from lint that I have
a "possible pointer alignment problem."  Since I'm writing a
simulation, with these structures coming and going in volume,
I have to use dynamic allocation.  My question is, what problems
am I going to run into and how can I fix them (or should I just
ignore the the message)?

				Kurt D. Del Bene
				...!ihnp4!homxa!delbene

P.S.  Please be gentle. I know 'C' (2 yrs. experience, 10k+ lines),
      but not its nuances.

P.P.S. Anyone know of a GOOD (i.e. well written) book on 'C' (other
       than K&R, which I've read and digested relatively completely) that
       doesn't treat you like some weekend programmer with a business degree
       from Podunk U?