Register variables

E.SCHULZ eds at solar.UUCP
Thu Jul 4 03:51:31 AEST 1985

In our current application, we are writing C code for an 8086-family
processor in an embedded system.  Our objective is to keep the ROM
and RAM down, so that the components will fit on the board and will
be low cost.  We don't think that execution time is as important as
keeping the ROM under 128K bytes.

Given the above, I would prefer to have the compiler assign register
variable(s) based on their static occurrence in the code.  The
references to memory take more code space than references to
registers.  Just another point of view...

	Ed Schulz
	AT&T-IS, Holmdel, NJ
	solar!eds  (201)834-3838