more about programming style

John McNamee jpm at BNL44.ARPA
Thu Jul 11 15:13:57 AEST 1985

C programming is something that should be attempted only by professionals.
There are other languages (such as BASIC) which the average luser might be
able to learn if they put their mind to it.

I think your example of why programmers shouldn't use C idioms was absurd.
Just apply it to another profession, and you will see how absurd it is.
For example....

    I went to the doctor because I had a pain in my chest. He gave me some
pills, but that didn't make the pain go away. After doing more tests, it
was decided that I need an operation. After the operation, I still had pains
in my chest. Since the doctor couldn't make the pains go away, I decided
to cut myself open and see if I couldn't find the problem on my own. If
the human body wasn't so complicated, and if medical textbooks were only
written so anybody could understand them, maybe I wouldn't have died trying.

Some things, like medicine and C programming, are best left to professionals.
--

			 John McNamee
		..!decvax!philabs!sbcs!bnl44!jpm

		  "MS-DOS is a communist plot"