An MS-Dos C compiler for $49.95 ? (really DeSmet C)

Jay Freeman freeman at spar.UUCP
Sun Jul 21 13:15:28 AEST 1985

[#define LINE_EATER FALSE]

In article <1169 at ubc-cs.UUCP> ludemann at ubc-cs.UUCP (Peter Ludemann) writes:

>In article <11587 at brl-tgr.ARPA> jpm at BNL44.ARPA (John McNamee) writes:
>>The DeSmet package is excellent if you only need a small model compiler.
>
>I heartily agree.  Apparently there is a package which will let
>you use more than 64K of data - at any rate, the compiler has overlays
>which will let you use more than 64K of code (the overlays
>can be memory resident).

The DeSmet compiler compiles to a rather conventional (DeSmet-furnished)
assembly language, whose assembly is the third pass of the compilation.
Furthermore, the compiler supports an "asm" directive:

foo()	/* this all is to go through the compiler */
{

 ... put some C statements here if you like

#asm

 ... insert assembly-language instructions here

#

 ... more C statements

   }

With these features, it is easy to interface from small-model C to
user-defined assembly-language functions.  And it is not hard to write such
functions to access other segments for code and data both, if need be.
--
Jay Reynolds Freeman (Schlumberger Palo Alto Research)(canonical disclaimer)