C grammar

Jeff Lee jeff at gatech.UUCP
Sat Mar 2 06:02:23 AEST 1985

> > Yes. In the new standard, multicharacter character constants are allowed
> > but (of course) are implementation defined. A character constant is an INT
> > so you can guess what most implementations will do.
>
> Already do, you mean.  There's nothing new about multi-character character
> constants; they've been in C all along, with the same warnings about them
> being highly implementation-dependent.  I'm a bit disappointed that the
> ANSI committee didn't delete them.  Oh well.
> --
> 				Henry Spencer @ U of Toronto Zoology
> 				{allegra,ihnp4,linus,decvax}!utzoo!henry

Yes, I should have made that clearer. The correct phrase should probably
have been "the new standard is continuing to propogate multi-character
character constants". I don't understand leaving something that machine
dependant in it, but at the same time they are removing one of the more
useful additions; the CASE range. The last draft allowed a case to contain
a "const .. const" contruct but (according to the draft that came here
just today) that has now been removed. The notes say that it was removed
after some discussion but what discussion was not mentioned. Oh well....

--
Jeff Lee
CSNet:	Jeff @ GATech		ARPA:	Jeff.GATech @ CSNet-Relay