make depend

Kim Walden kim at enea.UUCP
Tue Mar 26 07:50:45 AEST 1985

In article <157 at azure.UUCP> jimbi at azure.UUCP (Jim Bigelow) writes:
>[]
>There is a command, mkmf (make makefile), in the 4.2BSD distribution, 3rd party
>contibuted software, spms ( software project management system ) that creates
>a new makefile from a template, if one doesn't already exist.  It automatically
>makes the dependancy lists.  This version is not fool proof, but it DOES work
>for simple and non-fancy dependancies, it's fast and simple to use.
>To update a makefile for new files and dependancies just type "mkmf".
>
>Jim Bigelow
>Tektronix

Unfortunately, mkmf generates wrong dependencies, in most cases,
when generated files are involved.

I would hardly call standard use of yacc or lex as 'fancy' by
any meaning of the word.

Almost correct is not good enough when hundreds or thousands of
dependencies are generated.  If you have to make manual corrections
after each dependency generation, the whole point is missed.

--
	Kim Walden
	ENEA DATA Sweden

	UUCP:	{seismo,decvax,philabs}!{mcvax,ukc,unido}!enea!kim
	ARPA:	decvax!mcvax!enea!kim at berkeley.arpa
		mcvax!enea!kim at seismo.arpa