parens around sizeof arg

Jeff Lichtman jeff at rtech.ARPA
Thu Mar 21 17:48:08 AEST 1985

> > Why are parentheses aroung the `expr' sloppy? I had been programming
>
> Well, it is something that is semantically and syntactically
> superfluous, much the same way that many PASCAL programmers like to
> insert extra null statements at the end of program blocks.  The
> parentheses serve at most an optical purpose.
>
> 						Thomas.

You could say the same thing about blank lines between code blocks, or spaces
around operators.  Newlines at the ends of statements are "semantically and
syntactically superfluous" too.

Remember that people (not just compilers) have to read programs.  If extra
parentheses make a piece of code more readable, then they are good.
--
Jeff Lichtman at rtech (Relational Technology, Inc.)
aka Swazoo Koolak