make depend

Arnold Robbins arnold at gatech.UUCP
Sat Mar 9 02:45:42 AEST 1985

In Article <544 at rlgvax.UUCP> Guy Harris (rlgvax!guy) writes
> Either the filter, or the -M flag, should be picked up and stuck into every
> UNIX in existence (picked up by vendors, for the benefit of their licensees),
> because the absence of (semi-)automated dependency generators is a nuisance.
> People don't keep their dependency lists up to date, things don't get remade
> when a header changes, and all sorts of bugs crop up.
> --
> 	Guy Harris
> 	{seismo,ihnp4,allegra}!rlgvax!guy

I just wanted  to mention that ATT's Unix Toolchest, which allows you to
sign up for software which is delivered electronically, provies a tool
call "makefile", which will read through your software in the current
directory, and generate a makefile for you.  If there is a makefile there,
it will keep any comments you had when it produces the new one.  It is
available (source!) for a reasonable price, only $95.  I didn't note what
the binary sublicensing fee is, but I doubt it is a lot if the original price
is only $95.

The number for the toolchest (in case any missed it) is 201-522-6900.  It is
a 1200 Baud dial-in, which puts you into a cute little menu system, with
pop-up help menues, and everything.
--
Arnold Robbins
CSNET:	arnold at gatech	ARPA:	arnold%gatech.csnet at csnet-relay.arpa
UUCP:	{ akgua, allegra, hplabs, ihnp4, seismo, ut-sally }!gatech!arnold

Help advance the state of Computer Science: Nuke a PR1ME today!