event-handling approach to errors

jim at ISM780B.UUCP jim at ISM780B.UUCP
Thu Mar 7 15:37:49 AEST 1985

>Obviously my original comment didn't sink in:  I know of no *good* way
>of doing exception handling.

Henry, your comment did sink in, but it is merely a statement about your
personal perception, and it is extremely arrogant of you to expect everyone
to just throw their hands in the air and give up because *you* don't trust
exception mechanisms.  I do trust them, and they solve *real* problems
that UNIX signals or error message/exit from low level routines don't even
begin to touch.  We can discuss the relative merits of these systems,
but please accept that there are people on this net at least as clever
as you.  Your ad hominem assumptions that anyone who doesn't agree with you
hasn't had it sink in or hasn't considered the issues or doesn't understand
the real world will only limit your own ability to learn.

-- Jim Balter, INTERACTIVE Systems (ima!jim)