Can #define `token-string' be empty?

B.Altman boris at sftri.UUCP
Sun Mar 3 09:46:21 AEST 1985

> > This is not necessary on System V release 2 C compiler. You can omit extern
> > everywhere. ld will be able to handle those constructs.
>
> It is necessary for portability, however -- something AT&T cares less
> and less about these days.  AT&T to the contrary, Vr2 is not the whole
> world.  Thank God.
> --
> 				Henry Spencer @ U of Toronto Zoology
> 				{allegra,ihnp4,linus,decvax}!utzoo!henry
 I guess I should put a disclaimer.
 The opinion presented here is my own and not of ATT or anyone else.

 The section 7.2 External data definitions of "Draft proposed C standard"
 indicates that you CAN omit "extern". When the standard gets acceptance,
 I do not think argument "standard is not the whole world" will be sufficient
 reason to "play tricks" just to be able to compile on some nonconforming
 C compiler.
 To give you just a bit of history, when Bell Labs were trying to enforce
 K&R rule on externs many people were very unhappy, since it broke
 a lot of code. That is why "multiple externs" were implemented in SVR2.

				Boris Altman
				AT&T Bell Labs, Summit NJ
				{ihnp4,ucbvax}!attunix!boris