The importance of alignment on a VAX

mwm at ucbtopaz.CC.Berkeley.ARPA mwm at ucbtopaz.CC.Berkeley.ARPA
Thu Mar 21 12:19:47 AEST 1985

In article <9339 at brl-tgr.ARPA> ron at brl-tgr.ARPA (Ron Natalie <ron>) writes:
>> For those who think that aligment is not important on a VAX I suggest your
>You're twisting what I was saying.  What I was complaining about was that
>there was no feature for defeating it even on machines like the VAX where
>the hardware will support it easily.  It would be nice to read structures
>from other machines (like PDP-11's) sometime.

Ron is right, C needs a "packed" struct type. I.e. -

static packed struct gezornin {
	<objects which will not have alignment> ;
	} ;

There: by careful choice of wording, I've managed to insure that such a
feature will *never* appear in C :-).

	<mike