lint, pointers, 0 (what else?)

Thomas M. Breuel tmb at talcott.UUCP
Fri Mar 1 14:04:51 AEST 1985

> Ints are only guaranteed to cover the range -32767 to +32767.
> Not even long ints are guaranteed to have 34 bits of dynamic range.

Are they?

> I have written a lot of C code and NEVER have had any such
> word length dependencies (other than in explicitly system-dependent
> code that would not make sense to try to port anyway).
> I would be interested in why your code has them.

Well, you obviously have not written code that computes something
to a given degree of accuracy. An example of where I needed 32 bits
(and 16 bits just wouldn't do) was the simulation of a system of
40 non-linear differential equations (the program was written in
68000 assembly language, btw, not in 'C').

						Thomas.