Need 286 "C" benchmark

John Woods john at x.UUCP
Fri May 31 01:36:28 AEST 1985

> > int a[50000];
> > main()
> > {
> >   int i;
> >   for (i=0; i<50000; i++) a[i+1] = a[i];
> > }
> > Dave Trissel    {seismo,ihnp4}!ut-sally!oakhill!davet
> > Motorola Semiconductor Inc.  Austin, Texas
> > "I work with 'em and mine works"
> Hmmm, once again Dave has submitted a benchmark that requires more than 64K
> of data.  This continued harping on the issue seems to indicate to me that

At MIT, I use PDP-11s all the time.  I run out of 64K data all the time.
I don't do that out of some sadistic intention to prove that PDP-11s are
inferior in comparison to any given processor, I do that because the work
that I do happens to be that large.  I have seen people doing FORTRAN
benchmarks that take 4Mb of data.  If the 286 is too high and mighty to
act on enough data, I don't particularly care how fast it thinks it is.

You probably have a 4004 in ECL at home as your home computer...
--
John Woods, Charles River Data Systems, Framingham MA, (617) 626-1101
...!decvax!frog!john, ...!mit-eddie!jfw, jfw%mit-ccc at MIT-XX.ARPA

"MU" said the Sacred Chao...