Need 286 "C" benchmark

Chuck McManis cem at intelca.UUCP
Thu May 23 01:57:08 AEST 1985

> I just love the contact sport of "combative benchmarking".  I note how
> the source code for the Hofstader (sp?) benchmark just accidentally
> happens to declare its register variables from the least-used to the
> most used, the opposite of normal C convention.  And by coincidence,
> there are three of those little hummers... and we're comparing a
> 68K with >3 regvars against a 286 with only 2!
> This means that the single most heavily used register variable will
> be in a reg on the 68K and on the frame for a 286.  My my, what a
> terrible accident.

It is also by "accident" that of those three variables j, k, and max are
"assumed" to be 32 bits. ("Oh, did I leave that out?") And that the only
purpose of the histogram seems to be to try to allocate an array that has
250504 elements. I am sure Sun Tzu has some apropos comment for the
situation.

--Chuck
"I work with 'em and I like it."

*** REPLACE THIS LINE WITH YOUR BENCHMARK ***
--
                                            - - - D I S C L A I M E R - - -
{ihnp4,fortune}!dual\                     All opinions expressed herein are my