condition convention 'if (10 == j)...'

Michael Mc Namara mac at tesla.UUCP
Wed May 1 18:00:04 AEST 1985

In article <2140 at sun.uucp> shannon at sun.uucp (Bill Shannon) writes:
>> > To prevent silly mistakes like
>> >         if (j = 10)
>> > I usually write
>> >         if (10 == j)
>> > By putting the constant first, I ensure that the compiler will catch the
>> > typo.
>>
>> I think this is a good idea.  Any criticisms?  The only problem
>> I have with it is that I am not accustomed to reading code written
>> this way.
>> --
>> Gordon A. Moffett               ...!{ihnp4,cbosgd,sun}!amdahl!gam
>
>What do you mean, any criticisms?  This is one of the most ugly
>perversions of C I've ever seen!  I tend to read this in terms of
>"if variable equals constant" and try to figure out how the value
>"10" is ever going to change!  YUCK YUCK YUCK!!!!
>
>People that write "if (10 == j)" probably also write "while (1)".
>What do you mean, "while 1"???  Are you expecting "1" to change???
>Everyone knows this should be written "for (;;)", read "forever".
>
>                                        Bill Shannon

        While we're setting nets for ourselves, why not

# define .EQ. ==

        Then we can say if ( j .EQ. 10 ) fortran--;

I believe all this belongs in the crutch box of (weak *) programmers;
  Sure,  you CAN do it if you WANT to, but I'll just

  %s/.EQ./==/g^M/# define == ==^Mdd^M all your files ;-))))))))
                          ^

                          necessary due to first command (-:

                                                          ^

                           so whats the matter with lefties?