Proposal to add modules to C

Gregg R. Siegfried grs at ncoast.UUCP
Mon May 27 18:02:35 AEST 1985

In article <5606 at utzoo.UUCP> henry at utzoo.UUCP (Henry Spencer) writes:

>Because I want to ensure that no *deliberate* changes or references are
>made!!  That variable is a detail of the *implementation* of the module
>in question, and outsiders are not entitled to use it because the
>implementation is subject to change.  There are some really ugly places
>in Unix where programs *know* details of the implementation of stdio,
>for example.  Making things like that globally accessible essentially makes
>them part of the specification of the module, hence very hard to change
>even if they are later seen as serious mistakes.
>--

	I think a change like this would corrupt the language, rather than
provide a way to implement hidden types.  I found Modula-2 quite useful
for doing just what you described.  That there don't seem to be any Modula-2
compilers for Unix systems should be a small concern however.  If there
isn't one under construction, there *should* be.

					Gregg Siegfried

..decvax!cwruecmp!ncoast!grs

[When all else fails...use assembler]
"If you want to catch a lot of fish, you need a big net."