C Indentation Survey Results (long...)

Neal Weidenhofer neal at denelvx.UUCP
Thu May 9 07:11:05 AEST 1985

> And (as long as we are sharpening axes here) if you were programming in
> PASCAL you could put the sucker in a WITH DEVICE clause and get rid of all
> those "device->" references.  AND, it would be more efficient since the
> reference would only be evaluated once, at the WITH clause (clearly compiler
> optimization in C compilers would have a bearing on this).
> --
> Ben Cranston  ...{seismo!umcp-cs,ihnp4!rlgvax}!cvl!umd5!zben  zben at umd2.ARPA

	I realize it doesn't help with the typing, but a smart compiler
shouldn't have any trouble with evaluating "device" only once (as long as
it's safe).

	I haven't used Pascal in a while.  What does it do if DEVICE changes
(intentionally or otherwise) in the middle of a WITH DEVICE clause?

			Regards,
				Neal Weidenhofer
"Blame it on the Rolling	Denelcor, Inc.
	Stones"			<hao|csu-cs|brl-bmd>!denelcor!neal