Need 286 "C" benchmark

Jerry Lotto lotto at talcott.UUCP
Thu May 23 02:41:53 AEST 1985

> I just love the contact sport of "combative benchmarking".  I note how
> the source code for the Hofstader (sp?) benchmark just accidentally
> happens to declare its register variables from the least-used to the
> most used, the opposite of normal C convention.  And by coincidence,
> there are three of those little hummers... and we're comparing a
> 68K with >3 regvars against a 286 with only 2!...
>
> gordon letwin
> microsoft

	I agree... note the SIZE of the hardware registers we are using.
This would not be a problem, but most micro C compiler produced code will
try to cram the decimal number 250500+ into those 16 bit ints. And then
to do a calloc of this many words...
--

Gerald Lotto - Harvard Chemistry Dept.

UUCP:  {genrad,cbosgd}!wjh12!h-sc4!harvard!lhasa!lotto
       {seismo,harpo,ihnp4,linus,allegra,ut-sally}!harvard!lhasa!lotto
ARPA:  lotto at harvard.ARPA
CSNET: lotto%harvard at csnet-relay