HARRIS FLAME Re: SHORT vs. INT

Mark Brader msb at lsuc.UUCP
Sat Sep 14 03:02:37 AEST 1985

> > People such as Mr. Harris should be aware that not all people participating
> > in this forum are experts.  The question was a valid one ...

> People who use the C language should be sufficiently expert that they
> understand [that material.  If not,] then they have not been
> adequately trained in the C language and should not use the C language until
> they have been so trained.  From the questions put forth in net.lang.c, it's
> apparent that the training offered to many C programmers is abysmal.  I'm
> not in the business of training C programmers.  I *am*, unfortunately, in
> the business of fixing the mistakes made by inexpert C programmers. ...

> In any case, net.lang.c should *not* be forced to serve as a place where
> people pick up information that should have been imparted to them when they
> learned C but wasn't. ...

Well, I don't really see why it matters where they learn the stuff,
as long as they do learn it.  Seems to me that every posting of things
that we all ought to know helps to *reduce* the number of those mistakes
that Guy is, unfortunately, in the business of fixing.

It's easy enough to skip over the messages that are beneath you, if you want.

Mark Brader