This Sentence is False

P. D. Guthrie pdg at ihdev.UUCP
Sat Sep 14 05:21:31 AEST 1985

> > > ... But no machine I know of has a `branch if true' instruxion...
>
> On the 6809 branch always is implemented as branch if true. They also
> have a branch if false which acts as a skip. They call it branch never.

*** Oh Line eater, line eater, wherefor art thou? ***

On a Dec-20, you have a huge number of strange instructions, including :
(no flames if I don't remember correctly -- it's been years)

skipn : skip never
jumpn : jump never
skipa : skip always
jumpa : jump always
skip  : skip
jump  : jump

I don't believe that there is any difference between skipa and skip and
also between jumpa and jump, but the extra forms are kept in to make
a complete instruction set. By the way, this beastie also has a
36 bit word!!

What does this discussion have to do with net.lang.c anyway?

						Paul Guthrie.

Any opinions expresses herein (whether right or wrong) have been
generated by the `babble' program.