(Guy) HARRIS FLAME Re: SHORT vs. INT

Bill.Stewart.4K435.x0705 wcs at ho95e.UUCP
Sat Sep 14 01:54:46 AEST 1985

> > 2.  NETWORK COMMUNICATION
> > To enable network communication between different machines, a "short" is
> > guaranteed to be 16-bits and a "long" is guaranteed to be 32-bits.  This
> > is either convention or standard, I am not sure which.
> The C language guarantees only that "short" is no longer than "long".  There
> is no guarantee of any width of "short", "int", or "long" other than that!

(I don't have the standard within reach, but:)
The draft ANSI C standard demands that short>=16 bits and long >=32 bits,
as well as long>=short.
> byte  is just about any size you like (5, 6, 7, 8, 9 bits).  Folks who depend on
> integral types having exactly some size write less portable code than folks
> who depend on said types having at least some size.
> 	Marty Shannon > UUCP:	ihnp4!attunix!mjs
What? Aren't all machines just like my VAX?     :~)
--
## Bill Stewart, AT&T Bell Labs, Holmdel NJ 1-201-949-0705 ihnp4!ho95c!wcs