large memory model support

Warren Seltzer warren at tikal.UUCP
Thu Sep 5 13:09:28 AEST 1985

[replace this multiply with a shift...]

 There are a number of other compiler vendors that offer cross
 compilation of C from various Unix systems to 8086/186 family
 CPU's.  These vendors include:

 Intermetrics Inc., of Cambridge Mass.
 Oasys, also of Cambridge Mass.
 Systems and Software, of Costa Mesa Ca.
 Lattice Inc., of Glen Ellyn Ill.

 All of these companies charge much more for multi-user Unix system
 cross-tools than similar compilers cost for desktop machines.  We ourselves
 are looking at all of the above, as an upgrade over what we do now.  All of
 them (except Intermetrics, I think) also offer the same compilers for IBM
 PC's that they offer for Unix systems.  Support for creating ROM's is also
 available, as is a variety of memory models, special code generation for
 the extended 186 instruction set, and linkers, locators and loaders.  Most
 of these companies will gladly port their stuff to the Unix system of your
 choosing, if you choose something reasonably popular.  We use Pyramids and
 Vaxen, and have no problem with availability for either.

 Some of these vendors also offer compatible compilers and linkers, etc.,
 for Motorola and/or National chips as well, so you can plan portability for
 your embedded system, if you wish.

 Not all vendors offer all features, of course.

 teltone!warren