large memory model support

Peter da Silva peter at graffiti.UUCP
Fri Sep 13 21:55:04 AEST 1985

> Namely, you're going to have 64K restrictions are a lot
> of objects.  Basically, if the compiler would have to know
> when to change the value of a segment register when
> accessing two pieces within the same object, forget it.

Not true. The Lattice 'C' compiler has 2 large memory models. One with this
restriction and one which uses library routines for pointer arithmetic. thus
you can get efficient code or huge arrays, but not both.

Of course Lattice isn't the world's greatest compiler, but at least it does
a decent job of handling the utterly brain damaged peice of hardware known
as the 8086. Suggestion: forget it. Use a 68000. We probably will if it ever
comes out in a low-power form.