Falsies

Richard Welty weltyrp at rpics.UUCP
Mon Sep 9 11:30:40 AEST 1985

> Now about the Burrough's. What exactly is their idea of truth? I hear
> rumors that some of their machines are programmed in ALGOL. Is this
> some kind of higher level concept? What's, uh, the deal?

> 	jim		cottrell at nbs

The way Burroughs implements truth is quite immaterial, as there is no
assembler.  The Burroughs stack machines are programmed in a language that
directly supports Burroughs Extended Algol, and all systems programs on such
machines are written in the Burroughs dialect.  Boolean is a real datatype
supported by the hardware.  In fact, every high level concept from Algol is
supported in the hardware.  Strong typing is even supported in the hardware.
The machines attach type bits to each unit of memory.  The machines are
quite interesting, really, although they were commercially not massively
successful.
--
				Rich Welty

	(I am both a part-time grad student at RPI and a full-time
	 employee of a local CAE firm, and opinions expressed herein
	 have nothing to do with anything at all)

	CSNet:   weltyrp at rpi
	ArpaNet: weltyrp.rpi at csnet-relay
	UUCP:  seismo!rpics!weltyrp