C bites / programming style [if

Kevin Long krl at datlog.UUCP
Tue Sep 24 20:59:47 AEST 1985

> > > In my mind, the braces are associaed with the 'if' statment, and so
> > > they should be indented at the same column as the 'if'.  I look for the
> > > closing brace in the same column to be a sort of 'statement terminator'
>
> > Well, in my mind the braces are simply grouping the statements 'under'
> > the if.
>
>   The above difference of opinion has in the past been called a religious
> argument, with good reason.  Last time it was discussed, Owen Beckley,
> then at uw-june, conducted a poll of the preferred brace alignment and
> commenting style.  While it may not prove anything, it should give everybody
> an idea of how many people will never agree to use one's own indenting style.

    At great risk of being Flamed to death with my clothes on here is my
little gem on the subject.

    Curly Braces are like ears...It doesn't matter how far they stick out,
    it's what's between them that matters ! :-)
--
 /\___/\                      Klong
 \/o o\/    The views expressed above are not those of my employer

UUCP: ...!mcvax!ukc!stc!datlog!krl
MAIL: Data Logic Ltd., 320, Ruislip Road East, Greenford, Middlesex, UK.