HARRIS FLAME Re: SHORT vs. INT

Dave Hollander dmh at dicomed.UUCP
Tue Sep 17 06:33:07 AEST 1985

In article <2778 at sun.uucp> guy at sun.uucp (Guy Harris) writes:

>People who use the C language should be sufficiently expert that they
>understand that "long" and "short" should not be selected in favor of "int"
>only if they are of different sizes on the machine you're coding on.
>Period.  If a C programmer doesn't understand that, then they have not been
>
>	Guy Harris

Well excuse me!  I was trained as a programer in collage ( in Pascal of
course) and also by Bell Laboratories but these types of problems are
beyond what they saw fit to teach.  I will not try to defend the places
that offer training, however they do seem to get bogged down by people
who do not even understand structures.

I have recently returned to the C world (a long and terrible bout of
Fortran has ruined many of the good pratices I may of had) I was hoping
that this news group would be a good refresher and get me up to date with
new ideas.  The concept of portability as a science not a black art being
one of the ideas.  sorry for being so foolish and "boneheaded"!

I hope you have to fix one of my broken programs some day!

						Dave Hollander