HARRIS FLAME Re: SHORT vs. INT

Laura Creighton laura at l5.uucp
Mon Sep 16 13:20:39 AEST 1985

In article <792 at lsuc.UUCP> msb at lsuc.UUCP (Mark Brader) writes:

>Well, I don't really see why it matters where they learn the stuff,
>as long as they do learn it.  Seems to me that every posting of things
>that we all ought to know helps to *reduce* the number of those mistakes
>that Guy is, unfortunately, in the business of fixing.

The people who don't know what they are doing and are trying to program in
C have a problem, but as long as they know they don't know what they are
doing, I am perfectly willing to bear with them. The people who drive me
up the wall are the people who post wrong answers to things. Every so
often I see somehting posted here which is so off-the-wall that I
figure that there must be something to it. After all, nobody could post
something so blatantly wrong, could they? There must be something going
on here that I don't see, right? When I was at utzoo I went for Henry
Spencer's Office. Now that I am consulting to Sun I go to Guy Harris's
office. The question is the same. ``Have you read net.lang.c (or
net.unix-wizards) today? Is Joe RandomHacker out of his mind?'' The sad
thing is that the answer is nearly always ``Yes.''  What I worry about is
how many readers of net.lang.c don't know a good answer from a bad
one? It is self-evident that a large number of *posters* don't. If
the readders are the same way, then how many of them are going to pick
up vile, sleazy and incorrect ways of doing things by believing trash that
they read here?

It is too bad that mod.lang.c didn't fix this problem.
--
Laura Creighton		(note new address!)
sun!l5!laura		(that is ell-five, not fifteen)
l5!laura at lll-crg.arpa