structured assembler (BASIC) [Really: C builtin functions?]

PASM Parallel Processing Laboratory pasm at pur-ee.UUCP
Fri Apr 11 13:55:10 AEST 1986

>>C has standard built-in functions????
>>
>>Gee, that's a new one on me.  EVERY function called from C is an external func-
>>tion, or at least it was when C began.
>
>You are sort of right,  but sizeof qualifies as a builtin function,
>even though it is a compile-time function vs run-time.   Anyone disagree?

	Yep, I disagree: sizeof is an OPERATOR.  See K&R p. 49.
	You might write something like:
		sizeof(int)

	which LOOKS like a function call to the uninitiated,
	but you can just as correctly write:
		sizeof int

	What the heck is a compile-time function?  Real useful -
	functions that return constants.  Come on now.

	(Jim Kuehn; kuehn at ed.purdue.edu; ...ihnp4!pur-ee!kuehn)
--jk