structured assembler (BASIC) [Really: C builtin functions?]

Eric Black eric at chronon.UUCP
Wed Apr 9 09:35:19 AEST 1986

In article <824 at ttrdc.UUCP> levy at ttrdc.UUCP (Daniel R. Levy) writes:
>In article <41 at cbmvax.cbmvax.cbm.UUCP>, daveh at cbmvax.UUCP writes:
>>C, LISP, Pascal, BASIC, etc., all have standard built-in functions.
>
>C has standard built-in functions????
>
>Gee, that's a new one on me.  EVERY function called from C is an external func-
>tion, or at least it was when C began.  This includes things like write(),
>read(), printf(), math functions, etc.  There's no such thing as, for example,
>a C builtin equivalent to the FORTRAN MAX() or the Basic INPUT which does the
>right thing no what the arguments' types are, or where the returned result is
>stored.

Well, how about sizeof(foo)?

It looks like a function invocation, and is known and understood
by the compiler...

All right, all right, K & R calls it an "operator", but none of
us here are known to pick nits, are we??	:-)

--
Eric Black   "Garbage In, Gospel Out"
UUCP:        {sun,pyramid,hplabs,amdcad}!chronon!eric