questions from using lint

Steve Schlaifer x3171 156/224 steve at jplgodo.UUCP
Sat Apr 12 04:20:49 AEST 1986

In article <7097 at cca.UUCP>, dewitt at cca.UUCP (Mark DeWitt) writes:
> I have three questions, the first of which was only brought to my
> attention by lint, not caused by it.
>
> ............. question 1 deleted
>
> 2.  With the following code--
> 	static int page;
>
> 	ioctl(0, SOMEINTEGER, (char *)&page);
> 		or
> 	ioctl(0, SOMEINTEGER, (char *)(&page));
>
> lint says:
>
> warning: illegal pointer combination.
>
> ......... question 3 deleted

When I lint the following on a Ridge 32C under ROS 3.3 (SYSV derivative),

	#include <stdio.h>

	main() {
	static int page;

	ioctl(0,2,(char *)(&page));
	}

I get

test.c
==============
(7)  warning: main() returns random value to invocation environment

function returns value which is always ignored
    ioctl

Note that there are no pointer complaints.  Sounds like you have a problem
on your system.  If lint complains about the sample above, I would complain
to the vender.

--

...smeagol\			Steve Schlaifer
......wlbr->!jplgodo!steve	Advance Projects Group, Jet Propulsion Labs